Saturday, February 27, 2010

Day 3

Well, this is not getting any easier! Yesterday my husband came home from work and starting eating girl scout cookies right in front of me as I was cooking dinner. He left the open box right next to the stove and went into the next room. Normally I would have popped a few in my mouth and hid the evidence. But this time, I knew that it would be cheating not only on the diet, but the challenge and this blog. So I jammed the cookies back into the the box and put it away in the pantry..go me! And then I finished cooking....

I made the most delicious crust-less quiche! I got the recipe from a French Country Cooking cook book I took out from the library. Basically, I sauteed bacon, onions, ham, mushrooms and tomatoes. Then in another bowl, I mixed 3 eggs, 1 yolk and 2 cups of cream. The filling came out a bit too much, so next time maybe just 1.5 cups of cream. I placed the bacon mixture in a dish, covered it with grated Swiss cheese and poured the cream mixture over everything. I baked it for 35 minutes and let it sit for 25 minutes afterwards. Presto! It was amazing! I even ate some for breakfast today and it gave me an idea...I should do mini quiches and have them as a quick breakfast option. I am not that big on eggs, but the cream really hid the "eggy" taste and texture. I thought it would taste like an omelet, but it was very different. My husband loved it!

I also asked my friends on an Atkins forum about cooking with wine. I got mixed reviews. Some said absolutely no, but another person said, that it may be okay because cooking can burn off the alcohol. Here's my take...I know alcohol is not allowed on induction, but I have done this diet sooo many times and if I can make interesting food with wine and still lose .4lbs (like I did this morning) then I am happy. I would rather eat Beef Bourguignon with wine and lose a smaller amount than force down another boring salad or bunless burger! So, I may not be following the induction 100%, but these small allowances might just keep me on the diet this time. We'll see. Maybe I will stop losing and I will have to deal with that, but for now, I am not overly concerned with getting into ketosis.

I also sat down and planned my meals for the upcoming week. It gave me something to look forward to. As I stated in an earlier post, my husband is from France and so I decided to use a lot of French recipes to help me along with this diet. This food reminds him of when he was young, so it is fun for both of us. (I will never be able to deny my emotional attachment to food!!). Some of my recipes for this week will come from the book I talking about earlier:


I am trying not to make this all about cooking, but food is probably the best part of this diet!


I am so happy to see some followers, so please feel free to share ideas! We can do this together!

No comments:

Post a Comment